THE NAPOLEONIC PRISON OF NORMAN CROSS: THE LOST TOWN OF HUNTINGDONSHIRE
208pp., 16 colour plates, P.B. 2019 new edn. Norman Cross was the site of the world’s first purpose-built prisoner-of-war camp constructed during the Napoleonic Wars. Opened in 1797, it was more than just a prison: it was a town in itself, with houses, offices, butchers, bakers, a hospital, a school, a market and a banking system. It was an important prison and military establishment in the east of England with a lively community of some 7,000 French inmates.